Best Online Schools for Military
Factors associated with the best online schools for military veterans and active duty personnel involve flexible scheduling that accommodates deployment/work timetables, the ability to offer all the financial benefits provided by the G.I. Bill and U.S. Department of Education and a variety of degree programs that would be of interest to those with military experience. In addition, the online college or university should be accredited by one or more accrediting agencies recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (Accrediting Agencies).
The Top 10 Best Online Schools for Military Members
- With an established reputation among online schools, Walden University has been accommodating all military members who are active duty, serving abroad, stateside or retired since 1970. A member of the SOC (Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges Consortium), Walden University supplies students with a professional support staff experienced in resolving issues often affecting the ability for military members to earn a degree while serving in the Armed Forces. Walden’s online doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s programs designed for military personnel include such fields as engineering, education, social sciences, psychology and public policy.
- American Sentinel University extends leading-edge health, business, criminal justice and business degrees to all veterans, service members, spouses and those enlisted in the National Guard. Online courses are asynchronous, meaning military personnel can access lectures and assignments whenever it is convenient, which further benefits personnel who have been deployed to remote areas where internet access is limited.
- Regionally accredited and winner of the Council of College and Military Educators Institution Award, for consistently advancing the purpose and quality of military education, Excelsior College has endeavored to assist military personnel with obtaining degrees while on active duty for over 40 years. Currently, Excelsior s considered one of the best online schools for facilitating student/credit transfers by U.S. News and World Report magazine. All DANTES examinations provided by Excelsior College are fully paid for by the organization as well.
- University of Maryland University College has been serving military members, spouses and children for over 60 years with low, in-state tuition fees regardless of a student’s location and scholarships that not only apply to service members but also to family members who enroll in an online degree program. UMUC distance learning courses are available in more than 150 different regions worldwide, with 24/7 online support services standing by to assist military students in all aspects of their online learning experience.
- Recognized for its participation in the Spouses to Teachers and the Troops to Teachers programs as well as providing supplemental scholarships enhancing STT and TTT stipends, Western Governors University is consistently ranked as one of the best online schools for military personnel. Additionally, WGU provides a university-funded scholarship specifically benefiting the Spouses to Graduates degree programs that can be applied to any health care, business, teaching and information technology curriculums. Western Governors University also includes a Master’s of Business degree in Strategic Leadership for military personnel who have graduated from the Air Force War College Non-Residence or Residence Program.
- As one of the best online schools for military members, Thomas Edison State College has remained a long-term member of the SOC (Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges), an organization established in 1972 in order to provide degree opportunities to active duty military personnel who have trouble completing their degrees due to frequent displacement or deployment. Thomas Edison State College also offers program formats that do not require access to the internet for those stationed in remote locations.
- Considered one of the best online schools for military members due to its inclusion of a Department of Military Science that allows students to earn a second lieutenant commission in the Army, Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana additionally provides scholarships as well as state and federal financial aid. With generous amounts of financial assistance available, military students can eliminate most expenses incurred while enrolled in a four year degree program.
- Serving military members for over five years, Empire State College is partnered with the Department of Defense, Army National Guard, the Air Force, Navy and the Army through their Office of Corporate and Military Partnerships. The college strives to give all military personnel uncomplicated access to educational programs and support services familiar with the problems facing active duty service men and women trying to earn a degree.
- Exhibiting efficient and equality procedures regarding the retention of military members as well as veterans, Vista College participates in a variety of military-friendly programs such as the Reserve Educational Assistance Program, Tuition Assistance for Active Duty, the 9/11 G.I. Bill and the Veterans Retraining Assistance Program.
- As a member of the American Public University System, American Military University is one of the best online schools for military members offering over 170 different online degrees and certifications, Armed Forces Tuition Assistance, Federal student aid, book grants and no admission fees for those in the military. In 2009, the American Military University received recognition by the Sloan Consortium for providing an exceptional online experience and quality education services.
Another example of the best online schools for military members making it easier and more convenient for active duty service men and women to complete their courses is the implementation of cellphone interfaces that facilitates the ability of a military student to access course materials regardless of location or availability of a laptop or desktop computer.
Military-friendly online schools represent a way for active duty, veterans and their family members to earn a respected and viable degree by taking advantage of the many financial and personal benefits provided by the U.S. Department of Education and the U.S. Armed forces. For more information regarding education provisions for military-affiliated individuals, visit the
U.S. Department of Education for Veterans and Military Families.